Re: Padding on tt:p and tt:span elements

As a couple of TTML.next issues are discussed at the moment I want to
bring up the padding issue again. This is filed as Issue 168.

Currently it is hard to solve following requirement for background
colour fill that is defined in the Youview TTML profile[1]:

 > Where text with tts:backgroundColor is applied at the span level, the
filled area shall extend the width of a space character to the left of
the first rendered character on each line and to the right of the last
rendered character on each line.

If in TTML.next padding could be applied to a span: to what a percentage
value would relate to?  In XSL 1.1 and CSS 2.1 it relates to the width
of the containing block [2]. So assumed this will be the same definition
in TTML, a span would be the child of a p element and a padding value
would be specified in percentage for that span than it would be the
width of that p element? This would be very similar to the current
definition. In TTML the percentage value for padding is defined as
relative to the width and height of the region. As the extent of a p is
the same as the extent of the region where it is contained the width of
the containing block is effectively the with of the region.

As the width of the region could vary this seems not a good solution for
the requirement defined by the Youview spec.

The only possible solution to establish a relation between the chosen
font and the padding value seems to be the cell metric. To emulate the
width of a space the padding value of the start edge for the first span
in a line and the padding value for the end edge of the last span in
line could be set to 1c (assumed that the font-size is 1c). Is there any
more intuitive solution?

Best regards,

Andreas

[1]