RE: EBU Segmentation document

Hi Michael,

I’m interested in why you are unhappy with times in the document that would lie outside the sample epoch?

Most container formats state something along the lines of… “content is not valid outside the sample duration”.  Which is fine, and IMHO having e.g. begin and end times that exceed the sample epoch does not violate this concept. Having a begin and end time outside the epoch does not necessarily mean a decoder has to activate the content before the sample epoch (or after it).

Further I’m interested in how other track types are handled… for example audio is often sampled at a different rate to video… consequently audio and video samples are unlikely to align. E.g. How do containers handle the overlap of audio segments across sample boundaries?

I much fear we might be discussing and designing a solution to  a ‘non problem’.

I have reservations about using IDs to link documents… there are any number of potential issues there.

Allowing temporal overlap does at least mean that each document can be independent, whilst retaining some ability for a decoder to optimise for continuity of presentation, regardless of play direction. Further it re-inforces the concept that the subtitle durations are independent of the video (and audio) samples… E.g. subtitle temporal accuracy and continuation of presentation should ideally occur at the specified time points regardless of video playback frame rates or stutters due to adaptive adjustments etc.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 270 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
BVE, Excel London, 25-27 February 2014, Stand M15

P Before printing, think about the environment