Re: Issue-286: application of padding to p etc

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Glenn,
>
>  I've had a look at your edit that added padding to content elements and
> I don't believe that this contradicts the usage defined by EBU-TT-D in
> Issue-286 as written. However we need to describe exactly what padding
> means when applied to body, div and span, assuming the EBU proposal for the
> definition on p carries.
>
>  body: Since tts:padding is not inheritable and body can not contain
> content (i.e. what's in the spec as Inline.class)  I'm not sure how it
> would ever be applied.

yes, body contains content, in fact, all content; body maps to fo:block in
XSL-FO and will map to an outer div in HTML

>  div: Could apply to the set of rendered lines within the div, taken as a
> single rectangle? This is subtly different from padding on region, which
> doesn't take into account the width of the rendered lines at all, so I can
> see it being useful.

again, the XSL-FO (=CSS) model applies; padding applies to the block areas
(boxes) generated by div

>  p: as per proposal, applies separately to each rendered line within the
> p.

not exactly, padding applies to the (non-line) block areas (boxes)
generated by p

>  span: applies to the contained text within the span.

more accurately, applies to the inline areas (boxes) generated by span

> Adds to or overrides p-based tts:padding values?

padding on p and spans are treated separately and independentlty

> Either way this is the most problematic one: the padding creates spacing
> that is normally created using a spacing text character, which gives the
> author a no-win problem: either create spans with padding to make spacing
> correct, and remove space characters from text, or have unwanted extra
> spacing, dependent on line wrapping.

i don't see any overlap between padding and spacing characters; they are
quite distinct