Re: ISSUE-267 (nigel): Wording in 12.1.7 doesn't convey intended meaning [TTML 1.0]

Not a bug. See 12.1.5 for meaning of "significant" in this context:

A ttm:agent metadata item is considered to be significant only when
specified as a child of the head element or as a child of a metadata element
child of the head element.