Re: questions on TTML specification

my apologies for the delayed response on this, but let me try to answer
below

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Kouichi Uchimura <
Kouichi.Uchimura@jp.sony.com> wrote:

> Dear Glenn
>
> Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful for me!
> If I could ask some more for (a) and (c). (b) and (d) are clear.
>
> (a)
> What I'm asking is
>  because tts:backgroundColor is NOT inheritable.
>  Therefore I would like to know what text content or region(?)
>  will be affected by tts:backgroundColor specified in tt:body.
>
> as like...
>   <definition of region r1... with tts:backgroundColor="red">
>           text1
>          text2
> What is background color of r1, text1 and text2?
> And what is filled by green color?

if we look at the generated XSL-FO instance that defines the TTML
presentation semantics (see 9.3.3), we have (leaving out a few details):

<fo:block-container background-color="red">  <!-- tt:region -->
  <fo:block background-color="green">        <!-- tt:body   -->
    <fo:block>                               <!-- tt:div    -->
      <fo:block background-color="white">    <!-- tt:p      -->
        <fo:inline>text1</fo:inline>
      </fo:block>
      <fo:block>                             <!-- tt:p      -->
        <fo:inline>text2</fo:inline>
      </fo:block>
    </fo:block>
    <fo:block/>                              <!-- space filler -->
  </fo:block>
</fo:block-container>

so the absolutely positioned block-container is rendered with a red
background, but then the fo:block that corresponds with tt:body is rendered
with a green background (which, due to the space filler, ensures it covers
the block-container, so you won't see any red), then the first paragraph
has a white background, but, since the color property is not set on any of
these, we aren't sure if 'text1' will be visible or not over this white
background [the initial (default) value is UA dependent]; the second
paragraph doesn't specify a background property, so it is transparent,
meaning the background color of body will show through; again, whether
'text2' is visible depends on what the UA uses as its initial value;

i've attached an XSL-FO file (with some additional details added) and its
PDF rendering (produced by FOP) that depicts the result; i specified a
specific color property ('brown') on the fo:block that corresponds to body
so we get a definite result; i've added a border around the block-container
to show its extent; i also created a duplicate copy of the block-container
without the space filler (as produced by step 7 of 9.3.3), which shows how
the background of the region would show through if the body were not padded
out by space filler;

> (c)
>  > assuming for a moment that both regions r1 and r2 and the above content
> elements are temporally active over the interval of interest,
>  Yes. This was my assumption. Sorry for missing.
>  And thank you for considering this!
>
>   My question is semantics of step3.  It states...

i will answer this question in a separate message to follow

regards,
glenn