Re: Initial value of ttp:markerMode

As I understood the way markers work you can not make any assumption
about linearity of the time coordinates. This is what the
"discontineous" mode says. With "contineous" markermode the author makes
an explicit gurantee that the time coordinates are linear and either
monotonically increasing or decreasing.

My concern is that the user has to explicitly set the markerMode to
"discontineous" if they want to express a "normal" marker behaviour. As
discussions have shown markerMode "discontineous" is often mixed up by
users with “discontineous timecode” and this is not what the spec wants
to express.

If the initial value is "discontineous" then the value "stays" in the
background, it applies always when the timebase is "smpte" (as for the
other timebase values "media" and "clock" markermode does not apply).

Am 24.05.2012 08:44, schrieb Glenn Adams:
> I have never thought that markerMode was intended to primarily express
> discontinuous markers. When we created this property, the
> discontinuous mode was thought to be an exception rather than the
> default. So without considerable further discussion, I would hesitate
> to accept this proposal.
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de
> <mailto:tai@irt.de>> wrote:
>
>     I would like to propose to change the initial value of markerMode
>     from contineous to discontineous. As seen in discussions the
>     intended meaning of markermode aligns more with the expressed
>     meaning of markermode "discontineous".
>
>     What do you think?
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Andreas
>
>     --
>     ------------------------------------------------
>     Andreas Tai
>     Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
>     R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
>     Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany
>
>     Phone: +49 89 32399-389 <tel:%2B49%2089%2032399-389> | Fax: +49 89
>     32399-200 <tel:%2B49%2089%2032399-200>
>     http: www.irt.de <http://www.irt.de> | Email: tai@irt.de
>     <mailto:tai@irt.de>
>
>     registration court&   managing director:
>     Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
>     Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200