Re: more profile confusion ( ISSUE-170)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de> wrote:

>  From my reading the profile mechanism is a TTML feature itself and can be
> optional. So if the context make the profile mechanism optional it is not
> needed for a TTML processor to implement it. Am I correct?

yes, #profile is an enumerated feature [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-profile

however, it is also a mandatory feature for both transformation [2] and
presentation [3] profiles

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-transformation-mandatory-table
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-presentation-mandatory-table

finally, a conformant transformation processor [4] and a conformant
presentation processor [5] are obliged to support the transformation and
presentation profiles, respectively

[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-transformation-processor
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-presentation-processor

so, when you ask "it is not needed for a TTML processor to implement it",
then the answer is yes if you mean either a "conformant TTML transformation
processor" or a "conformant TTML presentation processor"

> Furthermore it maybe a possibility for TTML 1.1 to reflect on the profile
> mechanism with respect to it´s implementation by TTML users/processors.

what I think you may be asking here is whether a TTML processor may be a
"conformant TTML generic processor" [6], but neither a (conformant)
transformation processor nor a (conformant) presentation processor; is that
correct?

[6] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-generic-processor