Re: TTML after March

As David alludes, the whole business of TTML dependency on XSL-FO is based
on a poor reading of the spec. The only use made (and intended to be made)
of XSL-FO was for the purpose of defining formatting semantics without
having to do so directly in TTML. Further, for the most part, the style
properties adopted in TTML are properties which XSL-FO borrows from CSS. In
doing this, TTML does not make use of the CSS Box Model, but instead makes
use of the XSL-FO Area Model, which are distinct, but similar models (and
conceptual vocabularies) for describing formatting and presentation.

It is true, however, that TTML explicitly avoided the use of CSS grammars
(except for property value grammars for those properties adopted from CSS
via XSL-FO). The rationale for this choice was to avoid having to have two
different parsers: an XML parser and a CSS parser.

If there were sufficient industry interest in doing so, and, in particular,
if this would produce a positive impact on TTML take-up, then it would be
relatively straightforward to define a CSS binding for TTML that employs
CSS for style association rather than the existing mechanism defined in
TTML.

G.