Re: semantics of unbound region attribute.

Actually, the text in 9.3.1 effectively defines the algorithm for
associating content elements with regions. See the REGION-OF() pseudo
function. However, since this was an example of an implementation of the
(prose) description of the algorithm just above the example, what we need to
do is add normative text that defines this association. I have done that in
the just posted draft, and marked Issue #42 as closed.

Note that the example you give below of:

is not presently supported, since the value of the region attribute must be
a single IDREF.

G.