Re: proposal to replace dynamicFlow

If I undersand this proposal correctly, it is equivalent to:

tts:dynamicFlow=²in(line,jump) out(line,smooth) intra(2.31)²

which says:

(1) to jump scroll in one line at a time, at a auto determined rate;
(2) to smooth scroll out one line at a time, at a rate of 2.31 lines per
second, which works out to ~0.433sec on screen time;

The way we envisioned controlling the max number of lines (or glyphs) was to
define the extent of the region in cell units in order to yield a fixed
number of rows (for a font that was sized at 1c). So, the example given
below could be expressed now as follows:

<region>
and 3 cells (rows) high -->
</region>

The only thing we donıt have yet is language that says that <br/> or
&#x000A; forces a line scroll in (when space is available).

So I oppose the the proposal on the basis that we can already support it
(albeit with a minor tweak regarding <br/>). It is better to handling
subsetting the usage of dynamicFlow by means of specifying mandatory
presentation features versus optional presentation features. Indeed, I have
already done just that in the new draft I am preparing which I will publish
later today, in which I had already anticipated this need, and had
accordingly defined a feature ³#dynamicFlow-teletext² that I mapped to a
specific value combination of tts:dynamicFlow that is similar to the above
(although I had defined it as ³in(glyph,jump) out(line,smooth)²). We can use
this feature definition (with any tweaks we think appropriate) to specify
what is mandatory in terms of a presentation processor implementation. Or we
can define a different combination, such as ³in(line,jump) out(line,smooth)
intra(2.31)² and call it #dynamicFlow-rollup. We could also define a new
flow function value, if we like, such as:

tts:dynamicFlow=²roll(3)² where in this case 3 would be a parameter
indicating maximum number of line areas generated at one time into the
region.

In general, I think we really should keep dynamicFlow because we have a
formal semantics model for it that defines its timing and presentation
behavior in a way that interoperates with the timing and layout model
already defined by DFXP.

The focus of this exercise should not be on eliminating dynamicFlow, but on
defining what subset of dynamicFlow is needed for supporting roll up
semantics, and on clearly specifying that subset as a specific identifiable
feature that can be made mandatory (while other dynamicFlow parameter
combinations are made optional).

Also, regarding the proposal, I donıt understand how the proposed tts:rollUp
could be applied to body, div, or p. This style as described is a purely
region layout oriented property.

Glenn