W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > September 2008

[minutes] Timed Text Working Group - 2008-09-10

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:28:36 -0400
To: public-tt@w3.org
Message-Id: <1221233316.3391.17.camel@localhost>

                Timed Text Working Group Teleconference

10 Sep 2008

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Geoff, Sean, David, Glenn, Philippe

   Regrets
          Dick

   Chair
          David

   Scribe
          plh

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Introduction
         2. [5]Scribe
         3. [6]Next meeting
         4. [7]Resources
         5. [8]Editing
         6. [9]WG schedule
         7. [10]Face-to-face meetings
         8. [11]Initial work
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



Introduction

   [going around the table]

   <scribe> ACTION: Philippe to contact Adobe regarding their
   participation in Timed Text [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-1 - Contact Adobe regarding their
   participation in Timed Text [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due
   2008-09-17].

Scribe

   Next scribe will be Geoff

Next meeting

   David: next week, same day, same time

   Glen: I'm in GMT+8
   ... 7AM or 8AM in Boston would be better for me

   Goeff: I could do 7AM, but 7:30AM

   Philippe: can't do 8AM on Wednesdays
   ... but could on Fridays, 9AM

   Resolution: Friday, 9AM US/Eastern

   <scribe> ACTION: Philippe to book the Zakim bridge [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2 - Book the Zakim bridge [on Philippe Le
   Hégaret - due 2008-09-17].

Resources

   [15]http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/34314/status

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/34314/status

   Philippe: WGBH, Microsoft, BBC need to rejoin the Group

   Geoff: screen subtitling: might want to have John Birch as invited
   expert

   Philippe: what about IP?

   Glenn: they had no knowledge in the past, and they can provide a
   letter

   Philippe: sounds ok to me then

   David: EBU (Franz De Jong) was also involved in the past

   Sean: also been active in SMPTE as well

   <scribe> ACTION: Philippe to follow up with EBU/Franz De Jong
   [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-3 - Follow up with EBU/Franz De Jong [on
   Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2008-09-17].

   <scribe> ACTION: Philippe to follow up with Screen Subtitling
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-4 - Follow up with Screen Subtitling [on
   Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2008-09-17].

Editing

   Philippe and Glen should sync up

   Glen will remain as editor

WG schedule

   David: tight schedule!

Face-to-face meetings

   Sean: unless we have a huge influx of new people, we don't really
   need one. Maybe after Last Call.

Initial work

   David: Goeff, any thoughts about the dynamic flow processing?

   Geoff: I do, but need to post on the list

   <scribe> ACTION: Geoff to send a proposal for the dynamic flow
   processing [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action05]

   Glenn: we spent time defining set of features. If we can agree on
   those sets, we can document that for a presentation processor
   ... we can include an other profile that includes all of the
   features
   ... we can also list the requirements for processors
   ... don't try to remove features from the spec but instead keep them
   and classify them into compliance mode

   Philippe: we ought to remove features that are not implemented

   Glenn: some features were adopted from CSS and XSL, like bidi
   ... not of the existing processors support those
   ... but there are many other types of processors that implement
   those
   ... in the general case, there are implementations of those features
   ... what is the goal?

   Philippe: implementation status of DFXP

   David: there is also a role as an interchange format
   ... we need to be clear on what it mean to be an implementation

   Glenn: we can easily transform all the features in a target format
   ... but it may be difficult to produce a presentation processor for
   all of them

   Philippe: agreed, we'll need to match our implementation
   requirements with our compliance mode(s).

   David: indeed, the presentation role will include a subset of the
   features

   Glenn: there are many specifications that do not have presentation
   processors.
   ... conformance requirements for Unicode, but not requirements for
   Unicode to have all characters being displayed.
   ... for features that we identify as information interchange, we
   define them in semantic terms and we transform those into
   alternative representations

   David: I wonder if we can use the CSS test suite...

   Geoff: is the requirement is "to be transformed" or "to be
   transformed and displayed"?

   Glenn: HTML if you recall does not define the rendering
   ... it would be a disservice to remove features just because we
   couldn't implement a presentator processor
   ... we need a good definition for features and implementations, make
   a compelling case for that, and act along those lines
   ... as long as the feature can be transformed semantically should be
   sufficient

   David: we need to check that the feature has been correctly
   transformed

   Sean: as homework, let's all take a look at the features and
   classify them "presentation" or "transformation" role

   Glenn: I did this in the past
   ... will dig this out
   ... the only feature I'm uncomfortable with is the dynamic flow text
   ... if we modify it, I could be more comfortable with it

   David: what implementations of DFXP do we have out there?
   ... Goeff Magpy, Microsoft work, BBC work, World Airline
   entertainment association?, ...

   Geoff: I'll put a list together for next week

   David: also one open source software seems to support DFXP

   Philippe: tests/test suite?

   Glenn: My previous company did put together a test suite in the past

   <scribe> ACTION: Glen to dig out the test suite/tests [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action07]

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Geoff to send a proposal for the dynamic flow
   processing [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Philippe to book the Zakim bridge [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Philippe to contact Adobe regarding their
   participation in Timed Text [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Philippe to follow up with EBU/Franz De Jong [recorded
   in [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Philippe to follow up with Screen Subtitling/John
   Birch [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Geoff to send a proposal for the dynamic flow
   processing [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Glen to dig out the tests/test suite [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/10-tt-minutes.html#action07]

   [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 12 September 2008 15:29:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 2 November 2009 22:41:34 GMT