From: Sean Hayes [mailto:Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com]
Sent: 12 December 2008 20:34
To: John Birch; akirkpat@adobe.com; public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: Roll up in DFXP

Counter, counter proposal, I believe dynamicFlow is actually an emergent
property of time containerJ

In order to convince myself that some form of both rollup and crawl are
already expressible in dfxp without dynamicFlow, (if not terribly
convenient), I created the example below.  Although untested, I believe
this example demonstrates word at a time crawl and rollup semantics.
(character at a time is more spans than I could be bothered to create
but is essentially the same, as are other larger units. Pixel and glyph
level operations cannot be described by this method).

This kind of content could easily be generated by a tool, if not very
convenient by hand; so at the very worst we have some kind of dynamic
flow story.

If Glenn and John are unable to deliver on dynamicFlow proper by end of
January, I have the following proposal, which comes down to a syntax
sugar for generating the example content (this proposal may be useful
independently of whether we successfully add region flow):

I would posit that dynamicFlow not be an attribute on region, but rather
derived from timeContainer values which distribute the duration of the
parent over its children. There are a few modes in which this
distribution could occur but the following two seem the most useful in
terms of our charter.

1)       The parent is a seq, and each child is automatically assigned
begin=0 and dur=N so that the entire container behaves like a seq where
the duration is completely filled with equal duration periods one for
each child.

2)       The parent is a par and each child is automatically assigned a
begin=N so that the first child occupies all time partitions, the second
child all but the first, and so on to the last child which occupies only
the last.

Begin end and dur specified on children would be ignored.

Names for these might be timeContainer='partition' and
timeContainer='append'. Note that these are simply syntactic shorthand
for par and seq with implied time calculations, thus no new semantics
are being introduced here.

Then in order to avoid hand generating all the spans, we need an
'autoSpan' content type attribute which generates the child spans from
PCDATA for either word or character level content. Again this is just
syntactic shorthand for the long form of specifying all the spans
manually.

[[Note that I'm relying on scroll in the example, but scroll as defined
in CSS and XSL is not actually very useful in a captioning type
environment (I have an issue open on this already) I propose we allow
auto as an overflow property value; and defined its semantics as
automatically keeping the content furthest from the textAlign and
displayAlign edges in view, rather than creating scrollbars.

we might recover the pixel level scrolling mode here]].

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<tt xml:lang="en"

    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1"

    xmlns:tts="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1#style"

    xmlns:ttm="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1#metadata">

  <head>

      <styling>

                         tts:displayAlign="after"

                         tts:background-color="black"

                         tts:color="white"

                         tts:origin="0px 0px"

                         tts:extent="20em 3em"

                         />

                         tts:displayAlign="after"

                         tts:background-color="black"

                         tts:color="white"

                         tts:origin="0px 4em"

                         tts:extent="20em 3em"

                         tts:wrapOption="noWrap"

                         tts:overflow="scroll"

                         />

      </styling>

      <layout>

          <region xml:id="rollup" style="s1"   />

          <region xml:id="crawl" style="s2"  />

      </layout>

  </head>

</tt>

Example with proposed syntax shorthand

[...]

Faithful I'll be, Five o'clock tea! <span style="p4"/> <span
style="p4"/> <span style="p4"/> <span style="p4"/>

</tt>

Sean Hayes
Media Accessibility Strategist
Accessibility Business Unit