Spec anomaly - opacity

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 23:05:07 +0000
To: "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>

I notice that opacity is specified as a float value, implying an inordinate (and completely untestable) set of gradations of alpha; while colour alpha is specified as only 255 steps. This seems completely skewed to me.

I would recommend that we align opacity and colour alpha by specifying <alpha> expressions as component-value.

Whether we wish also to anticipate 16bit colour is a separate question we probably ought to look at.

Sean Hayes
Media Accessibility Strategist
Accessibility Business Unit
Microsoft