Re: new issue? dfxp and language selection

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:07:45 -0800
To: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Cc: John Birch <john.birch@screen.subtitling.com>, "Glenn A. Adams" <gadams@xfsi.com>, Public TTWG List <public-tt@w3.org>

At 16:13  +0000 4/12/08, Daniel Weck wrote:
>On 4 Dec 2008, at 15:54, Sean Hayes wrote:
>>In my opinion the best approach here is having the spec define
>>xml:lang solely for its intended meaning, that is to convey the
>>language of an element and its contents and not try and overlay
>>some other semantics in the specification, but allow interested
>>parties to do so via transformation if they so wish.
>
>I like that. The "xml:lang" attribute provides insufficient
>semantics for performing content selection: user-agents may decide
>to use it for content pruning purposes, at their own risk (at the
>cost of content reusability, due to discrepancies in
>interpretations, etc.).

Indeed.  It's perfectly fine for a user to ask his display processor
"please don't show me any french in this document" or "please only
show me the english parts of this document".  However, I don't think
this last should be treated as "please show me the english version of
this document".

Marking a document, as Glenn suggests "this document will make a lot
more sense if it is filtered to a single language" is plausible,
indeed.

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.