RE: new issue? dfxp and language selection

I personally find the cc player implementation to be quite
appropriate... It's lightweight and effective.
The fact that it doesn't comply with the intention of DFXP perhaps
illustrates a divergence between the requirements of the 'real world'
and our spec?

It is a fact (clearly demonstrated by the CCforFlash implementation and
indeed by real world multimedia e.g. Digital TV broadcasts in Europe),
that multiple languages are required to be supported by the media. Two
points appear valid here... A) DFXP was originally targetted at
authoring...And in that context a predominant single language is by far
the most common and B) I recall discussion that for multi-language
support it was suggested that the external container would index
multiple DFXP documents as necessary. I don't recall such guidance in
our spec however (admittedly I haven't checked)...and clearly the
implementors of CCForFLASH took a different view :-)

However, given that this and other? implementations appear to be using
DFXP for both authoring and transmission, I suggest that it would be
valid to examine how easily the spec could be adjusted to accommodate
both the authoring and transmission scenarios...

But I don't see it as an issue for xml:lang... Surely it's an issue for
'our' definition of the meaning of div.
The question as I see it is... Is it meaningful to select on the basis
of div elements (as in CCForFLASH) or conversely....
Is it 'meaningful' / useful to use multiple div elements in a DFXP
document with the presumption that they all display simultaneously.

John

John Birch | Screen Subtitling Systems Ltd | Strategic Partnerships Manager
Main Line : +44 (0)1473 831700 | Ext : 270 | Office :
Mobile: +44 (0)7919 558380 | Fax: +44 (0)1473 830078
john.birch@screen.subtitling.com | www.screen.subtitling.com
The Old Rectory, Claydon Curch Lane, Claydon,Ipswich,IP6 0EQ,United Kingdom

See us at Broadcast Video Expo - February 17th - 19th 2009, Earls Court 2, London, Stand number K56

Before Printing, think about the environment