Re: Color fidelity during transcoding

On Thursday, July 27, 2006, 5:07:48 PM, Glenn wrote:

GAA> Chris,

GAA> Thanks for your comment. The TT WG has reviewed this comment has agreed
GAA> upon the following response:

GAA> Other than the use of sRGB, DFXP intentionally does not specify
GAA> conformance requirements on fidelity of color conversion from a source
GAA> document to a DFXP document. At this point, we have not identified any
GAA> requirements that would suggest adding this level of specificity.

I am afraid that this response does not satisfy me. I suspect that the technical aspects of sRGB, in particular the corrections for flare and ambient illumination, have been insufficiently considered.

Note that sRGB, while using a 709-compatible phosphor and white point chromaticity, has different assumptions to 709 regarding flare and ambient illumination. RGB values cannot therefore be simply transferred unchanged between the two systems while maintaining acceptable broadcast quality. For a system aimed at use in studio broadcast equipment, this is unacceptably lax and will lead to interoperability problems.

GAA> Regards,
GAA> Glenn

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group