RE: Timed Text Authoring Format - Distribution Format Exchange Pr ofile (DFXP)

I'm just catching up on this thread. I must admit that I share John's
opinion that not supporting applicative styling in DFXP is probably an
error, and I have said so on numerous occasions in the WG, however I
have given in to the majority opinion (on the understanding that this
feature goes into AFXP). I do accept it would mean a significant
increase in overhead for DFXP, but in my opinion not so much that makes
it impractical.

What is probably more significant at this stage is that adding it will
delay the already well overdue DFXP document.

I've never really accepted that streaming a single XML document is a
particularly likely scenario. Much more likely IMO is to break the
captions up into 'I-frame' mini documents which stretch for a
significant period of time (e.g. a DVD chapter) and if necessary repeat
these on a cyclic basis in a media stream.

I think it is likely that if and when AFXP is made available that it, or
more likely a constrained use of it (effectively another profile), will
be more useful as a modern captioning and subtitle technology.

Sean