RE: [tt-af-1-0-req] Some (late) comments on the requirements

I agree with Bert that there is definitely a balance to be struck
between a simple format which will be well received, and an all
encompassing monster solution which won't. However I at least see TT
being more than just a caption/subtitle format, and definitely expanding
into other areas of accessibility such as talking books. I don't see it
being competitive with SVG or SMIL; but being coexistent with them and
probably reusing some tools of those systems.

I want to reiterate the AF in TT-AF, this is a language for expressing
authorial intention. It is not intended for deployment (although we
haven't ruled out the latter usage, it is certainly not a primary
concern). If profiles fall out of the language it will be because
certain communities of users (such as caption houses) find a subset of
the tools available useful, and need not necessarily be a feature of the
schema itself.

As I see it the TTWG role is to sift and combine the various existing
systems both in and out of the W3C to create a workable system that is
well geared to a variety of scenarios where the timed presentation of
text is the common theme, some of the tools that that implies are
already well established in W3C, some are not, or are not well
integrated.

Only time will tell if we bite off a manageable lump of complexity, to
hit a sweet spot.