W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > April 2004

Minutes of TT WG Teleconference on 04/15/04

From: Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:47:52 +0200
To: <public-tt@w3.org>
Message-ID: <000401c42b95$14730420$ad02010a@wistiti>


Minutes of TT WG Teleconference on 04/15/04

Attendees

  Glenn Adams (XFSI, Chair, Scribe) [GA]
  Mike Dolan (invited expert) [MD]
  Geoff Freed (WGBH/NCAM, scribe) [GF]
  Sean Hayes, Microsoft (SH)
  Erik Hodge (RealNetworks) [EH]
  David Kirby (BBC) [DK]
  Thierry Michel (W3C) [TM]
  Dave Singer (Apple) [DS]

Regrets

************************************************************************
Agenda
************************************************************************

1. Accept prior minutes for publishing.
2. MPEG (ISO SC29/WG11) Liaison Status
3. Font MIME Type Registration [DS]
4. Animation and Reflow
5. Style Updates [GF]

************************************************************************
1. Accept prior minutes for publishing.
************************************************************************

Accepted.

Action: [TM] Post outstanding draft minutes as "final" minutes to public
reflector.

[TM] Reminds members to register for upcoming F2F!

************************************************************************
2. MPEG (ISO SC29/WG11) Liaison Status
************************************************************************

Action: [GA] Supply title, author list, and email addresses to [DS] to
get a contribution number.

************************************************************************
3. Font MIME Type Registration [DS]
************************************************************************

[DS] Provides new input at [1]. Reviews document.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2004Apr/0052.html

[MD] Will this have to go through an IETF WG in order to be approved,
since it is a top level type, and current process requires a standards
track approach?

Action: [DS] After having a document to show, contact Ned Freed to
determine
how to proceed.

Action: [GA] Review and comment on [1].

************************************************************************
4. Animation and Reflow
************************************************************************

[EH] Text within other text can have a begin/end time, but this animates
visibility, and not display; i.e., doesn't reflow.

[GA] Discusses his take on current consensus positions in this area and
his working assumptions:

* TTAF goal is to be capable of representing functionality of enumerated
DF formats (SAMI, QT, Real, ...), but not depend on a given DF format
supporting all functionality in TTAF (i.e., AF->DF mapping may drop or
transform information);

* TTAF should define a DFXP (Distribution Format Transform Profile) that
covers the most common set of functions found in enumerated DF formats
(and possibly some non-common functions as well if deemed sufficiently
important);

* TTAF provides multiple levels of abstraction of same information
that can be used at different levels by subsequent processing steps;
document model supports multiple NF layer instances, and potentially
multiple PF layer instances, but at most 1 LF layer instance (i.e., one
can imagine following steps LF:PF (1->M); PF:NF (M->N); TTAF tool can
then choose which layer instances to package into overall document
instance;

* TTAF will define default transforms for LF->PF and PF->NF;
applications
that use TTAF may define other transforms that may (or may not) be
subsets
or supersets of default transforms;

* default transform from LF->PF for style properties is probably going
to be limited to simple flattening (i.e., mapping from applicative
styles
to referential styles) without any further optimization of
representation
and without any consideration of style semantics (other than semantics
implied by resolving cascading and inheritence rules in applicative
styles);

* temporal flow styles will probably not be in DFXP since none of the
enumerated DFs support; however, a TTAF tool can precompile temporal
flowed styles into NF layer instances to accommodate assumptions about
device layout (and of course in a non-broadcast scenario, it could
query device);

************************************************************************
5. Style Updates [GF]
************************************************************************

[GF] Has updated some examples to use Gool scripts; semantic coherency
no longer an issue.

************************************************************************
6. Next Meetings
************************************************************************

Telecon Cancelled for 04/22; Next Telecon will be 04/29 at normal time.

May 10-12 F2F Amsterdam (CWI); start 10:30AM on 10th, end 1800h on 12th
Jun 22-24 F2F Mt View, CA (Microsoft) - Confirmed; [TM] to announce.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
START SUMMARY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*** OPEN ACTION ITEMS ***

Action: [SH] Will investigate use of media queries in this context and
report back.

Action: [DS with help of Paul Nelson and Peter Lofting] Write RFC to
register appropriate opentype/truetype font types as MIME media types,
suggest model of "application/font-<font-type-name>", e.g.,
"application/font-truetype".

Action: [GA] Make proposal regarding use of Xlink vocabulary or
"src" attribute.

Action: [GA] Draft new requirement on "Integrability"
in general terms that should not impact testing or implementation
requirements.

Action: [GA] incorporate agreed changes into TT-AF-1-0-REQ in
preparation for publishing final W3C Note.

Action: [SH] will review and propose subset of aural parameters
(see R305).

Action: [GA] Add figure showing logical structure anticipated
by requirements.

Action: [GA] Add note to R217 and R219 that shows use of data: URI
scheme.

Action: [SH] to propose subset with extensions for use in CS
Profile.

Action: [GF] investigate syntax for regions vis-a-vis style.

Action: [DK] To write up short paragraph on uses of
role tokens. Suggest removing or adding as he
progresses.

Action: [TM] to propose and define standard MD attributes. N.B.
Awaiting further discussion by WG.

Action: [DK/MD/TM] Formulate recommendation on specific and general
MD features.

Action: [GA] Need to start planning for September meeting in Japan!

Action: [SH] to draft standard ready text for subset of xquery.

Action: [DS] Based on email of 01/14, integrate with fillBehavior as
described in example.

Action: [*] For module owners, start developing test suite documents
that have feature tests in all necesary context, and no superfluous
context. Follow-on for primary spec editor will be to incorporate
fragments from these cases, but that will be subsequent to publishing
first internal draft of integrated spec.

*** OPEN ISSUES ***

Issue: Whether to use XLink vocabulary, e.g., as used consistently by
SVG, or use "src" attribute as apparently will be done in XHTML2?

Issue: Probably want to permit in logical content mode the selection
of content based on generic XML features of non-TT namespace
descriptive markup, e.g., for applying style and timing semantics, in
which case an appropriate TT container element shall be implied based
on nearest ancestor TT namespace element.

Issue: Need to think about cascading semantics; how to express, how to
apply, etc. Possibly use CSS semantics here as well.

Issue (2004-03-05): Whether to allow block as immediate child of
inline? N.B. XSL-FO does allow this. [GA] showed example of renmoji
(horizontal block in vertical Japanese lines).

*** URIs ***

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2004Apr/0052.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
END SUMMARY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thierry MICHEL
W3C/ERCIM
Received on Monday, 26 April 2004 09:51:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 2 November 2009 22:41:28 GMT