RE: Timed Text (TT) Authoring Format 1.0 Use Cases and Requiremen ts - Comments!

Sean,

Thanks for your email, I think we are actually very closely in agreement :-)
My comments revolved around **my** interpretation of 'preferred' and 'non
text'. If your example had been "graphic of an excited dog barking" I
suspect we would not have had this debate :-)

Sidenote: Within subtitling/captioning - 'dog bark' is often used as a
classic example of what is meant by audio description compared to subtitle
(Or caption cf subtitle).

As I currently work for a subtitling company my perspective is perhaps
coloured by accessibility issues, most of the 'text' I deal with exists
solely as an alternative representation of dialog, visual or audio events. I
also don't tend to favour the 'graphic designer knows best concept', it's
already IMHO killing the 'web, but then YMMV :-)

As you state, preference depends on perspective - but I wanted to ensure
that the 'debate' captured what I consider an essential aspect of any text
presentation - that of ensuring accessibility. Character based text is the
only real practical basis for generating accessible 'tri-modal'?
presentations for those unable to access the primary (in this case) visual
content.

As regards "Hmmm....  SMIL customTestAttributes anyone....   ;-) - this was
intended as sarcasm.

regards John Birch.