W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > March 2003

Minutes - 03/13/03 Telecon

From: Glenn A. Adams <glenn@xfsi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:34:18 -0500
Message-ID: <7249D02C4D2DFD4D80F2E040E8CAF37C03B840@longxuyen.xfsi.com>
To: "W3C TT Public" <public-tt@w3.org>


Minutes of TT WG Teleconference on 03/13/03

Attendees

  Glenn Adams (XFSI, Chair, Scribe) [GA]
  Brad Botkin (WGBH/NCAM) [BB]
  George Kerscher (Daisy) [GK]
  Erik Hodge (RealNetworks) [EH]
  Thierry Michel (W3C) [TM]

Regrets

  Geoff Freed (WGBH/NCAM, Invited Expert) [GF1]
  Markus Gylling (Daisy) [MG]
  Markku Hakkinen (JSRPD) [MH]

Absent

  Mike Dolan (invited expert) [MD]
  Gerry Field (WGBH/NCAM, Invited Expert) [GF2]
  Patrick Schmitz (Ludicrum, Invited Expert) [PS]
  Dave Singer (Apple) [DS]

************************************************************************
Agenda
************************************************************************

1. Action Item Review
2. Open Issue Review

************************************************************************
Preliminaries
************************************************************************

[GK] Indicated that ANSI NISO Z39.86 (2002) "Digital Talking Book
Standard" was just accepted.

Action: [GK] Will send message to public TT reflector; also consider
sending link to member TT reflector.

************************************************************************
1. Action Items Review
************************************************************************

A-1: [GA] to send email to author of editors home page to suggest
adding list of available XSLT transforms for xmlspec.

Not Done.

A-2: [GA] to discuss possible use of XML 1.1 with XML CG.

Not Done.

A-3: [GA] to inform Chris Lilley of location of comparison
document so that he can fill in an "SVG" column.

Not Done.

A-4: [*] Champion specific presentation markup elements as
desired.

Open.

A-5: [BB1]/[GF1] to analyze the above "Tentative Core Style Property
List" to determine if they support the style features indicated by
[GF1]'s proposed style document.

Not Done.

[GA] May want to also consider margin, padding, and border properites.

[BB] Would facilitate EIA608/708 use cases.

A-6: [BB1]/[BF1] to consider use of vertical-align in their study of
style props.

Not Done.

A-7: [*] Consider need for CSS3 text module features.

Open.

A-8: [DS] to propose scroll (motion) animation markup.

Not Done.

A-9: [MH] to propose hilite animation markup.

Not Done.

A-10: [DS] to work with [GA] on resource list.

Not Done.

************************************************************************
2. Open Issue Review
************************************************************************

I-1: Whether to support conditional constructions (e.g., switch)?

[GA] Some possible use cases include language variations and
media display variations (e.g., characters versus text).

[GK] Other uses cases may be footnotes and annotations.

[EH] Used in SMIL to switch between players. Will this be
superfluous.

[GA] Principal issue is whether there are sufficiently valid
uses within TT as opposed to handling at higher levels.

[EH] Can see switching between presentations conditionalized to player.

[GK] Annotations support post-authoring enhancements.

Tentative Resolution: Attempt to document as potential requirement
and then be open reconsideration during review of requirements doc;
i.e., support it.

I-2: Whether to support xhtml entity sets?

Tentative Resolution: support in AF.

[GA] Notes process to turn tentative resolutions into final
resolutions.

Action: [GA] to send email to member reflector describing default
process for finalizing tentative resolutions.

I-3: Whether to support non-flowed text, flowed text, or both?

Tentative Resolution: support both in AF vocabulary and then
decide whether or not to create separate core document types that
use that vocabulary.

I-4: Should we support both intrinsic and extrinsic text? i.e.,
text internal and/or external to TT document(s)?

Tentative Resolution: support both in AF vocabulary and then
decide whether or not to create separate core document types that
use that vocabulary.

[GA] Need to consider both XInclude and XLink scenarios.

I-5: How to handle highlighting? [N.B. See A-9]

Open. Awaiting proposal from [MH]

I-6: Whether to support writing-mode and unicode-bidi?

[GA] Probably want in vocabulary, but don't know yet about use in
core document types. Need proposal.

[GK] Raises questions about what would be required in terms of
implementations.

[EH] Will be benefits if we can see this proved as a DF. If there's a
feature that can't make it all the way through, then it will be useful
to find out.

[GK] We could use this as native format, e.g., this AF could be a DF.

[GA] Propose to await champions to specify requirements.

No final resolution on this issue today.

I-7: Whether to support excl/priorityClass?

Need use case scenarios to be proposed to understand requirement.

[EH] Less syntax for event based timing. Haven't seen in widespread use.
Not sure he would champion. One way to handle open ended timing.

[GA] Wonders if it is requires user events.

[EH] No. Describes example. Possible to use without user events.

************************************************************************
ADJOURNS at 1300h Eastern Time (US)
************************************************************************

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
START SUMMARY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*** RESOLUTIONS ***

Tentative Resolution: Attempt to document conditional constructions
(e.g., switch) as potential requirement and then be open
reconsideration during review of requirements doc; i.e., support it.

Tentative Resolution: support xhtml entity sets in AF.

Tentative Resolution: support both non-flowed and flowed text in AF
vocabulary and then decide whether or not to create separate core
document types that use that vocabulary.

Tentative Resolution: support both intrinsic and extrinsic text in AF
vocabulary and then decide whether or not to create separate core
document types that use that vocabulary.

*** OPEN ACTION ITEMS ***

A-1: [GA] to send email to author of editors home page to suggest
adding list of available XSLT transforms for xmlspec.

A-2: [GA] to discuss possible use of XML 1.1 with XML CG.

A-3: [GA] to inform Chris Lilley of location of comparison
document so that he can fill in an "SVG" column.

A-4: [*] Champion specific presentation markup elements as
desired.

A-5: [BB1]/[GF1] to analyze the above "Tentative Core Style Property
List" to determine if they support the style features indicated by
[GF1]'s proposed style document.

A-6: [BB1]/[BF1] to consider use of vertical-align in their study of
style props.

A-7: [*] Consider need for CSS3 text module features.

A-8: [DS] to propose scroll (motion) animation markup.

A-9: [MH] to propose hilite animation markup.

A-10: [DS] to work with [GA] on resource list.

A-11: [GK] Will send message to public TT reflector regarding Z39.86;
also consider sending link to member TT reflector.

A-12: [GA] to send email to member reflector describing default
process for finalizing tentative resolutions.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
END SUMMARY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Received on Friday, 14 March 2003 16:34:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 2 November 2009 22:41:26 GMT