RE: Annotation of Timed Text

Hi Dave, Glenn, John et al,

Been thinking about this issue for a while..... Thought I'd drop my oar in
too!

For me, metadata has a fairly clear and limited meaning. It is information
that allows a user (or user agent) to make more informed choices about the
'content' of an element. Thus metadata is xml:lang, it is
class="SoundEffect", it is class="fred". An annotation might be "The
character fred was played by the actor Joe Bloggs, who replaced the original
cast member David Smith."

From the original discussion about storyboards and 'video/audio research',
it would seem to me that the annotations discussed are themselves examples
of timed text. Granted they do not fall into the category of dialog, or
traditional concepts of description - but they are primarily text content
fragments (accessibility issues aside) that have a greater validity during a
particular time epoch than at another. I see no reason why a TT document may
not support multiple 'timelines', each of which has text content that is
contemporary, but of a different character/type. This allows for different
content fragments (or spans) to co-exist and overlap without creating very
complex timing element hierarchies.

i.e.

In the scenarios you mention it probably more useful (easier) to implement
the document with divisions between annotation and dialog and description at
a high level in the document tree:

Note - in the following the element/attribute names are completely arbitrary
and not intended to relate to any existing 'standard' element.

<root>
   <!-- period to encompass all material -->
   <period begin="0">
	<stream role="annotation">
		<period begin="xyz" end="xyz">
			<text>
		</period>
		<period begin="xyz" end="xyz">
			<text>
	</stream>
	<stream role="dialog">
		<period begin="abc" end="wer">
			<text>
		</period>
	</stream>
	<stream role="description">
		<period begin="123" end="345">
			<text>
		</period>
	</stream>
   </period>
</root>

This contrasts with a possibly more traditional perspective:

<root>
   <period begin="xyz" end="xyz">
	<text class="annotation">
	</text>
	<text class="dialog">
	</text>
   </period>
   <period begin="xyz" end="xyz">
	<text class="description">
	</text>
   </period>
   <period begin="xyz" end="xyz">
	<text class="dialog">
	</text>
   </period>
</root>

I suspect that the TT format will be used in many different ways, and
consequently I hope that it is flexible enough to allow adopters of the
format to structure their documents according to their requirements.

> but given that there wouldn't be reverse pointers, would it be
> possible to display that external annotation material simultaneously in a
timed manner?

If TT format supports XPointer as a means of identifying text content, then
both the source document and the annotation document may be TT format. This
neatly solves the reverse pointer issue, since both documents may stand
alone and if desired reference one another. If multiple documents are
preferred then I personally favour a separate annotation document that
'looks in' to the source document cf a source document that references out -
YMMV. The annotation document can include Xpointer references to the source
document - becoming a <super> document, in the sense that it may contain
both the source material (albeit by reference) and the annotation.

regards John Birch.