Re: Why use time as a unit of measurement? (was: Proposal 0.0)

Dear Dave,

Dave Singer wrote:
> Well, that appears to be what happens, but alas, is not.  What you'd
> like to know is "play from 0 to 10 minutes", "play from 12 to 15
> minutes", and so on.  What you actually get is a continuous program
> where those edits have already occurred.
>
> Happily, the timecodes get edited with the video and audio; that's why I
> say that it is a stream.  If you look at the timecodes going by, you can
> work out what edits happened.  If there is a text tag with a time-code
> value of "13 minutes" as its trigger, that will play 12 minutes in
> (minute 11 being missing).  If the trigger said "11 minutes" then that
> text element will never display as that timecode was edited out.

You are describing not requirements, but a solution/implementation. The
fact that all current broadcast implementations look the same should not
force us to adopt the very same solution. We should go back to
requirements, in order to be able to unify this with the needs of the PC
world, as well as the different needs of the mobile world.

Best regards
JC
--
ENST, Dept COMELEC             The wing, over the big rock...