RE: Why use time as a unit of measurement? (was: Proposal 0.0)

As far as I understand it, the semantics of synchronizing timelines
between locked continuous media, as shown in my video+audio+text
example below, accounts for both pauses and seeks in the syncmaster,
and would also account for discontinuities in the timeline of the
syncmaster.

SMIL doesn't specify how a specific continuous media's internal
timeline is formulated, it merely assumes that the is some internal
timeline, and it is up to the media specific decoder to interpret
that timeline in a manner that can serve as a syncmaster for other
continuous media that are locked to that timeline.

So, for example, if each of the locked continuous media used a
PCR based with a reconstructed STC, or used another internal
time code, like SMPTE 12M, then discontinuities in the sync
master's timeline would cause seeks in any dependent media
element's timeline.

Note that SMIL 2.0 also defines seek semantics for hyperlinking
in time and accounts for synchronization between locked continuous
media in this context.

Please read SMIL 2.0 Timing and Synchronization [1], specifically
the sections on syncBehvaior, syncTolerance, syncMaster, and hyperlink
seek behaviors.

Perhaps Patrick Schmitz can comment on the accuracy of this
interpretation.

Regards,
Glenn

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil-timing.html