RE: Why use time as a unit of measurement? (was: Proposal 0.0)

From: Erik Hodge <ehodge@real.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:23:07 -0800
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, Johnb@screen.subtitling.com, public-tt@w3.org

At 12:47 PM 2/13/2003 -0800, Dave Singer wrote:

>However, it seems that if we use XML it might be possible to construct a
>document which uses both the SMIL and timed text namespaces, and which
>combines the timed text element definitions and the SMIL layup in one XML
>document.  This would have other advantages too (it's already a pain the
>number of loads/stream-opens one has to do with SMIL, and it ought to be
>possible to embed the text in the SMIL to avoid yet more for small text
>captions etc.).
>--
>David Singer
>Apple Computer/QuickTime

It is possible to embed media using a "data URL".  Our SMIL 2.0
implementation handles these.  The format is (roughly):

    src="data:[mime type],[data represented as syntactically-valid URI]".

and is more precisely defined here: ftp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2397.txt

Example:
  <ref dur="10s" region="r1" src="data:text/plain,This%20is%20some%20text."/>

I've seen this used for (small) images, RealText, and plain text, to
avoid the client-server overhead you mentioned.

         - Erik