RE: TT and subtitling/captioning - temporal flow of content

3GPP Timed Text uses an overall duration for display of a block of text
along with a scroll-in + delay + scroll-out.  The (optional) scroll-in and
(optional) scroll-out each do not have explicit duration but rather their
durations are calculated using the text's duration minus the delay.  This,
I think, would work for what you need, although it sounds like you'd want
possibly multiple delay periods based on the number of lines of text (tl)
and the number of lines of display (dl).  If there was a total delay time
(d) then the number of delay periods (pd), spread evenly throughout the
total duration, would be tl/dl rounded up to the nearest whole number, and
the delay of each would be pd/d.

         - Erik