Re: Topics for tomorrow

On 11/15/2017 6:29 AM, Rob van Eijk wrote:
> RE: Topics for tomorrow
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Just read the minutes.
>
> >> schunter: If the WP29 opinion shows support for automated means
> such as DNT, that will help get interest.
>
> The Working Party is working on Consent Guidelines in article 4(11) of
> the GDPR. This is mentioned in the public agenda of the working party [1].
>
> The notion of consent in the draft ePR is linked to the notion of
> consent in the GDPR. Because DNT is linked to ePR-consent, and given
> the guidance by the working group on the ePR, it is unlikely that the
> opinion will show support for DNT.

I can't claim to understand the politics of what shows support for what,
but I don't understand why the opinion is unlikely to show support for DNT.

W3M was on a path to close TPWG 18 months ago.  We reversed that path
because we were told that DNT was critical for GDPR.  I infer that it is
not the case that DNT is critical for GDPR and we were mistaken when we
reversed path 18 months ago.  Am I understanding this correctly?