From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) [mailto:mts-std@schunter.org]
Sent: 07 May 2017 21:28
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>; Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com>
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org) <public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject: Re: fyi: Fingerprinting risk

Hi David,

I agree that this is a potential can of worms.

Background: Shane proposed that a publisher can list all known/expected
third parties in an other-party field. He also suggested that the
publisher can request that other third parties are blocked. Since this
blocking is triggered by the publisher himself, it may be less
controversial. The basic idea is that it helps the publisher to ensure
that only compliant third parties are loaded.

On the downside, it would allow the publisher to constrain the business
of third parties that the publisher uses.

An alternative could be to indeed only talk about DNT;0/1.

In such a version (with no explicit blocking), the outcome would look as
follows:
1. other-parties declares a list of third party
2. A site-wide exception triggers sending DNT;0 to those listed third
parties (all unlisted third parties continue to receive DNT;1)
3. The publisher can use a JS API to ask "what additional third parties
occured on the site".

This whole scenario would not use blocking.

I guess it is up to shane to decide whether a non-blocking version
satisfies his requirements or not.

Regards,
matthias