From: David Singer [mailto:singer@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:08 PM
To: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
Cc: Craig Spiezle <craigs@otalliance.org>; public-tracking@w3.org; Jeff Wilbur <jeffw@otalliance.org>; Madelon Smith <madelons@otalliance.org>
Subject: Re: DNT Disclosure

I think they are saying that if you want to be sure both that
a) any tracking that took place in the past is lost: then delete your local storage
b) no tracking will occur in future: then turn on DNT

I don’t think DNT requires deletion of state that the site legitimately recorded before DNT was set and respected, does it?  So I think step (a) is needed if you want to be ‘clean’.

> On May 2, 2017, at 14:58 , Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> That goes some of the way IMO, but there should not be a need for the user to delete localStorage (which is often hard to do on a domain specific basis). This is origin specific so the server (or client browsing context) receiving DNT:1 is in the best position to delete it, so why not just do that.
>
> I do not think it is necessary to clear the cache, this usually ages of its own accord anyway. The point is that as long as the server receives DNT:1 it should not store anything new in the cache or anywhere else.
>
> Mike

Dave Singer

singer@mac.com