Re: site-specific with no targets

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 14:15 , Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:
>
> The text says that an empty array is same as null or undefined for
> site-specific targets. It would be better if an empty array just meant there
> were no targets so only the script-origin (or a subdomain of it) received
> DNT:0
>
> Otherwise, if only wanted to register consent for the script origin and not
> any subresources, you would have to set targets to contain a non-existent
> subresource, or the script-origin domain., which is weird.

If you have consent from the user, and you want DNT:0 to come back only to you, and not be sent to anyone else, you really don’t need the DNT signal. Its greatest value is in sending DNT:0 to third parties with whom it is otherwise very hard to communicate.  You *could* remember “I have consent” in any way you like.

But, it would be tidier to use DNT.  I’ll check, but I assume we can have it that — parameter missing (not in dictionary) means everyone, and parameter present but set to the empty array means no-one else.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.