Re: confirm and fingerprinting issues

Hi Folks,

my goal would be to satisfy the requirements of the industry in this
group ;-)

UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM

I would like to enhance our understanding before converging on a design.

I understand the fingerprinting risks of UGE for sub-domains
(b1.site.com, bit2.site.com, ...). Mitigating the risks would be desirable.

I do not understand why this same risk is not there for the main site.

I also do not understand why site-wide exceptions should not be allowed
(I do not see their fingerprinting risk) and I agree that allowing
google to, e.g., ask for a "youtube.com" UGE in an iframe is a desirable
use case.

ENUMERATING POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS

[1. Keep the old design] - allow UGE also for sub-contexts. This is the
default unless we reach consensus to change something.

This would allow web-wide and site-specific.

One way to mitigate the fingerprinting risk of specific sub-domains in
this scenario would be to limit the number of patterns that can be
registered (e.g. 5 patterns should constitute at most 5 bits). This can
be done as an implementation recommendation.

[2. Disallow UGE for sub-contexts] This would IMHO break the google
usecase above, would mitigate the fingerprinting risk for sub-contexts,
would still allow sites to use this bit-wise mechanism for fingerprinting.

[3. Only allow web-wide UGE for sub-contexts] This would mitigate
fingerprinting for site-specific UGE. Since I did not understand why we
wanted to disallow web-wide exceptions, I do not see a downside.

DISCUSSION
- I would appreciate if we continue populating the "understanding" and
"potential solution" perspectives before picking a given solution.

By default (unless we reach a new consensus), we will stick to the old
consensus and will not change the spec fundamentally. If we see a risk,
I would add a note and see what feedback we receive.

Any suggestions/input/feedback/solutions?

Regards,
matthias