From: Nick Doty [mailto:npdoty@ischool.berkeley.edu]
Sent: 27 March 2016 07:07
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: implementation and user guides?

Hi TPWG,

I'm hoping to see Compliance published as a Candidate Recommendation in the
short term. But once we're calling for implementations, we may also need to
help implementers who haven't been active participants or followers of this
Working Group to understand what it means to comply with a user's DNT
preference in this way. Similarly, it would be useful to have a guide to
explain to end users what it means for them if a site is adhering to W3C
Tracking Compliance and Scope.

For implementers, is there any documentation we could point to that would
give an introduction to complying with a user's DNT preference? That
documentation could even explain that there might be multiple different
compliance regimes to choose from, but at least explain how to get started.
I've been receiving fairly high-level questions from companies interested in
implementing, and it's not always the most welcoming to tell them to dive
into two different W3C specs, even if these specs are relatively brief.

For users, I know that David Singer had started such an explanatory
document. Would he or others be interested in updating that, either as an
unofficial draft or on a wiki somewhere? I know at one point that particular
unfinished draft was cited as a final specification, which was unfortunate,
but I still think a user-friendly explanation somewhere will be useful.

Cheers,
Nick