Re: Progression of TPE to CR, TCS to LC

On Jul 10, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 6, 2015 12:17 PM, Justin Brookman wrote:
>> We also have requested to transition the TPE specification to Candidate Recommendation.
>> First, we need to finalize the issuance of formal responses to each Last Call commenter; that
>> should be completed shortly.  After that, we will schedule a transition call with the director,
>> and he will make a determination on whether to proceed to CR (this will also involve making
>> a final determination of the formal objection to the decision not to require a tri-part state for
>> setting a DNT preference).
>
> Is there a draft of the CR document? What will be the minimum CR period? What are the
> proposed CR exit criteria?

Roy provided a pre-publication draft of the CR document here:
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt-20150324.html <http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt-20150324.html>
As Roy notes, that's just a test. (We would need to change the applicable Process to the 2005 Process, and I'll need to review for pubrules, etc.)

And a diff from LCWD: http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/diffs/TPE-LCWD-to-20150324.html <http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/diffs/TPE-LCWD-to-20150324.html>

I think the typical CR period is a couple of months at least; we'll need to gather implementation experience and test results. Regarding CR exit criteria, we typically look for multiple (at least two) interoperable implementations of each feature, which is what I would propose to the Director. Many of the features (for example, fields in the tracking status resource) are optional, so we're not expecting single implementations that use every feature.

The draft notes that the DNT extension feature is at risk (that is, if we don't see implementations during the CR period, we might remove that feature before moving to PR without requiring a return to Last Call).

Hope this helps,
Nick