RE: tracking data (was Re: [TCS] comments on 17 Feb 2015 editors draft)

Justin,

That was not clear to me from the wording of your email last night, but I feel happier with that. It would help if you posted the entire text for the amended third-party compliance section so we can read it in its entirety.

Mike

From: Justin Brookman [mailto:jbrookman@cdt.org]
Sent: 09 April 2015 19:28
To: Mike O'Neill
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group
Subject: Re: tracking data (was Re: [TCS] comments on 17 Feb 2015 editors draft)

The language you're referencing is still in the TCS:

Outside the permitted uses and explicitly-granted exceptions listed below, a third party to a given user action must not collect, share, or associate with related network interactions any identifiers that identify a specific user, user agent, or device. For example, a third party that does not require unique user identifiers for one of the permitted uses must not place a unique identifier in cookies or other browser-based local storage mechanisms.

Has anyone suggested removing that language?  I didn't see that in Roy's proposed edits.  I don't think anyone is arguing that third parties can use unique identifiers for non-permitted uses.  But we're not going to re-open the issue of unique identifiers for permitted uses at this point.  THAT would be a massive change.