      From: Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>
 To: Walter van Holst <walter@vanholst.com>
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
 Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:38 AM
 Subject: Re: tracking data (was Re: [TCS] comments on 17 Feb 2015 editors draft)

Right, this is a different issue than the use of the term "tracking data."  Contractual agreements with third parties to not try to reidentify data sets are one way to ensure that deidentified data stays that way.  For example, the FTC's test for deidentification is (1) a reasonable belief that the data can't be reidentified, (2) a commitment not to reidentify, and (3) a commitment not to reidentify from everyone you give the data set to.
I personally would be fine adding language about this to this non-normative guidance --- would just adding "and agreements" to the second bullet do it?

   - technical safeguards that prohibit re-identification of de-identified data;
   - business processes and agreements that specifically prohibit re-identification of de-identified data;
   - business processes that prevent inadvertent release of de-identified data;
   - administrative controls that limit access to de-identified data
To be clear, we are not requiring contracts against reidentification --- this would just suggest it as one way to ensure that deidentified data sets stay deidentified.
Shane, you had objected to Walter's language as going beyond the scope of what was intended --- does my language go too far for you, or are you OK with identifying contracts as one potential tool for deidentification?