Re: tracking data (was Re: [TCS] comments on 17 Feb 2015 editors draft)

During the call today, we made significant progress in resolving this
issue.  We tentatively agreed on a way to not include the term "tracking
data" in the third party compliance section --- instead that would read:

When a third party to a given user action receives a DNT:1
  signal in a related network interaction, the party MUST NOT

  •  collect data from this network interaction that would result in
     data regarding this particular user being associated across
     multiple distinct contexts;

  •  retain, use, or share data derived from this particular user's
     activity outside the context in which that activity occurred; nor,

  •  use data about this particular user's activity in other contexts
     (e.g., to personalize a response to this network interaction).

(The IRC discussion alternatively suggests "collect data from this network
interaction that would result in data regarding this particular user to
have been collected across multiple distinct contexts" for the first
bullet, but I think that the version I transcribed above is more clear.  If
others disagree, please let me know.)

No one on the call objected to Roy's other suggestions for removing
"tracking data" from the TCS (replacing "tracking data" with "that data" or
"data about that activity" in two places).

Walter had previously objected on the mailing list to removing "tracking
data" from the non-normative discussion of de-identification.  However,
participants on the call today didn't think the removal of the term
weakened that provision.  De-identification already requires technical
processes to ensure that *no one* can re-identify the data; the
non-normative language simply notes other prophylactic steps that can be
taken to address the persistent possibility of reidentification in the
future.