Re: TPE Editorial Proposal to Remove Another Hard Dependency on the Compliance Specification

Hi Shane,

thanks for your input. It is good that we agree that nobody wants to
redefine the term tracking as it applies to the DNT;1 signal (ISSUE-5).

IMHO pointing to a compliance regime is possible without any changes.

0. A site has published a URL to the compliance regime at the well-known
resource
1. A user sends "DNT;1" (do not track me according to the TPE definition)
2. A site responds with "T" (meaning that it cannot fully satisfy this
desire)
    potentially adding some qualifiers as defined at the URL
    (e.g. "F" for "permitted use 'tracking for fraud prevention'")
3. The user agent receives and processes the response

In the compliance regime can then explain the practices of the site in
detail. e.g.
  what data is collected, how it is retained and shared, permitted uses, ...

I do not see a need for "R" in this scenario. The fact that you
published  a URL to a compliance document implicitly says that
this document defines the practices of the site.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,
matthias