Re: TPE Editorial Proposal to Remove Another Hard Dependency on the Compliance Specification

Hi Jack,

thanks for the proposed change.

------
Two general remarks/clarifications before we can discuss your proposal:

(A) The TPE defines the term tracking and this term is used to define
the DNT signal, i.e.,
there is no permitted way to use the TPE protocol and then "redefine"
the meaning of DNT;1.
I.e., when a user agent sends "DNT;1", this signals that a user prefers
not to be tracked and the meaning of this "not to be tracked" is defined
as "not Tracking" where the term tracking is defined in the TPE.

However, the compliance regime will specify how sites respond and also
the meaning of these responses. On the sites expressing themselves, we
did not put any constraints yet (besides some syntax framework). I.e.,
if a site has a conflicting definition of tracking, this does not change
the meaning of the DNT;1 signal.

(B) If a site posts a link to a compliance regime at the well-known
resource, then this indicates that a site follows this compliance regime
and adheres to it.

--------------

Given this background, I did not understand the purpose of your proposed
"R" flag.

If the flag "R" indicates that the compliance practices are described in
the compliance-URL, then the "R" flag is redundant since this is clear
from the spec.
As a consequence, I do not see a need for it. The mere presence of the
URL signals that these are the practices that a site follows.

Feel free to clarify in what technical scenario this flag is needed and
how it would be processed by a user agent (and/or change its behavior).

Regards,
matthias