Re: tracking-ISSUE-264: requirement on UAs for setting cookies [TPE Last Call]

On 13/07/2014 04:19, Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/264
>
> Raised by: Xuemei Yan On product: TPE Last Call
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking-comments/2014Jun/att-0013/comments_on_working_draft_of_tracking_preference_expression_DNT_.doc
>
>  Comment: A user agent MUST NOT block the transmission of any Cookie,
> also MUST NOT block the operation of setting cookie upon the receipt
> of any request. Reason: In general, A user agent will configurate an
> option for user to close the cookie. If removal of the cookie, the
> internet service can not be used in normal condition.

Am a somewhat puzzled about this rather substantive proposal as part of
the last-call process by a group member that has not given input on this
topic till the last call. Is the last call process meant for this?

On substance: it is wholly unclear to me what is meant by "block the
transmission of any cookie". My UA cookie management extensions do not
block the transmission of cookies per se, but forward them to /dev/null
where they for the most part belong. Or is this aimed at intermediary
equipment, which aren't part of the UA?

If this is meant to say that UAs should accept and honour all cookies,
that would be hard to reconcile with the W3C principles (see
http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/privacy), let alone the charter of
this group. Not to mention that it would fly in the face of the EU
e-Privacy Directive which bans the use of non-functional cookies without
prior consent (DNT:0 scenarios, basically).

Regards,

 Walter