RE: Policing add-ons, Re: Agenda for January 15

(David wrote)

On Jan 16, 2014, at 5:36 , Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2014-01-16 12:52, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
>
>> Are we misunderstanding you? Or would a modifier simply be creating a
>> non-conformant UA and not violating the terms of any of the vanilla
>> FOSS licenses?
>
> I am having consultations with, among others, the authors of the MPL on this. While still not being convinced for a material need for a requirement like this to begin with. I will keep the WG posted of the outcomes of that (including me potentially just being wrong here).
>
> As far as the more permissive FLOSS licenses such as BSD/MIT/Apache are concerned I don't see a problem in this regard.
>
> Lastly, I also have the practical question how the text proposed by David Singer can work in case intermediate network equipment inserts a DNT signal.

My text is only for plug-ins or add-ons to the UA, not for anything else.
Those cases are already handled by other text, and no-one suggested modifying that

<bryan> I think that's a key point that was perhaps being missed by me and maybe others. Given that your text is an addition to the current text which is not modified, I can support it.