Re: Issue-207

Hi Justin,
Dear group members,

Having given this issue a bit more thought, I have come to the
conclusion that something needs to be added the discussion. I therefore
request the issue to remain open.

The TCS should IMHO include text that a party MUST provide information
regarding the specific reason for not honoring the user expression. A
key element, addressed in the TPE is that Tracking providers should not
ever have to second-guess a user's expressed Do Not Track preference. It
is fair to say, that users should not have to second-guess with regard
to the D-signal (quid pro quo principle). Just responding with 'D' would
not be enough IMHO to fulfill the quid pro quo. The user / user agent
needs to know about the reason why the signal got disregarded. The
party's representation MUST be be easy discoverable, clear and
unambiguous. It MAY be machine readable. The guiding principle IMHO, is
that transparency is key in the granular discussion between the user
agent and the server to prevent e.g., discrimination based on the use of
(a certain brand of) technology, or just plain arbitrariness.

I am trying to strike the right balance hear, and welcome your views.

Regards,
Rob

---
Recital 66

 "Third parties may wish to store information on the equipment of a
user, or gain access to information already stored, for a number of
purposes, ranging from the legitimate (such as certain types of cookies)
to those involving unwarranted intrusion into the private sphere (such
as spyware or viruses). It is therefore of paramount importance that
users be provided with clear and comprehensive information when engaging
in any activity which could result in such storage or gaining of access.
The methods of providing information and offering the right to refuse
should be as user-friendly as possible. Exceptions to the obligation to
provide information and offer the right to refuse should be limited to
those situations where the technical storage or access is strictly
necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific
service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user. Where it is
technically possible and effective, in accordance with the relevant
provisions of Directive 95/46/EC, the user’s consent to processing may
be expressed by using the appropriate settings of a browser or other
application. The enforcement of these requirements should be made more
effective by way of enhanced powers granted to the relevant national
authorities. "