Party definition, was: Re: proposed short-term changes to TCS

On 21/09/2013 01:20, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>   2.4 Party
>>
>>    A party is any commercial, nonprofit, or governmental organization, a
>>    subsidiary or unit of such an organization, or a person. For unique
>>    corporate entities to qualify as a common party with respect to this
>>    document, those entities MUST be commonly owned and commonly controlled
>>    and MUST provide easy discoverability of affiliate organizations. A list
>>    of affiliates MUST be available through a single user interaction from
>>    each page, for example, by following a single link, or through a single
>>    click.
>
> Replace with:
>
>   A party is either a person or a set of legal entities that share a
>   common owner, controller, and public identity that is easily
>   discoverable by a user.

Dear Roy,

Your definition is a substantial improvement over the current text, so
I'd prefer it regardless of whether the WG would accept the following
tweaks:

A party is either a natural person, a legal entity or a set of legal
entities that share (a) common owner(s), controller(s) or public
identity that is easily discoverable by a user or which a user can be
reasonably expected to be aware of. In the case of a set of legal
entities the discoverability of their affiliation MUST be provided
through a single user interaction from each page, for example by
following a single link or through a single click.

The reason I'd like to retain the provisioning of affiliation of the
original text is that it provides for an objective criterium whether the
discoverability principle is upheld or not. Which is helpful for the
transparency that this standard should contribute to.

Regards,

 Walter