Re: proposed short-term changes to TCS

http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-tracking-compliance-20130430/#scope-and-goals

>> IOW:
>>
>> "Tracking" is understood by this standard as the collection and
>> retention of data across multiple parties' domains or services in
>> a form such that it can be attributed to a specific user, user agent,
>> or device.
>
> Alas, I tried to get the group to agree we're restricting "cross-site tracking", partly because you mentioned it several times without definition, but the group did not agree.

The group did not agree to my notion of cross-site tracking for
many reasons, most of which had to do with the desire to share
information across multiple websites owned by one first party.

The above definition (proposed by Justin, IIRC) is about multiple
parties, not multiple sites, and is consistent with the requirements
on first party data collection.

The group agreed to publish the WD that contained the above definition.
I do not think it is ideal, but at least it is an attempt to reflect
what a user would be asking to turn off when they send DNT:1.
That is why I did not object to it in the prior WD.

....Roy