Re: Agenda for the Sept 11 call (V01)

Hi

On Sep 11, 2013, at 7:41 , David Wainberg <dwainberg@appnexus.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> On 2013-09-05 7:35 AM, Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) wrote:
>> 6. Publication of the current editor's draft as a working draft:
>>     http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html
>>     I have asked our editors to
>>         - insert a disclaimer that this is only the current starting point of our
>>             discussion and that the text is not consensus of the group.
>>         - to list the issues currently open
>>         - Indicating that more issues can be raised until October 02.
>>    Discussion (you may email before the call, too):
>>    What are additional concrete changes to the text that are essential before we publish?
> In my view, we're not ready to publish this as a Working Draft. There are too many open issues and questions about the process going forward. According to W3C process, publication of a Working Draft is an indication to the world at large that the doc is approaching last call and is ready for broad public review. I don't think we're there yet. I would ask that we hold on doing this until things settle a bit.

I think you have  mis-perception of what the working draft is.  It is our external statement "this is what we are currently working on", no more, no less.  At the moment, we appear to be claiming we're working on the old document, which is not true, and misleads.  The new document is in much better shape (section order, and so on) although it doesn't represent much of a change of substance (mostly because we spent the last 9 months bot actually looking at the document, its issues or action items).

When I want to tell someone what the DNT group is working on, I want the current WD to be a reasonably accurate reflection of that.  The old one is not, the new one is (and yes, they both have faults).

David Singer