From: Lee Tien [mailto:tien@eff.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:17 AM
To: Dobbs, Brooks
Cc: Vinay Goel; public-tracking@w3.org(public-tracking@w3.org); David Singer
Subject: Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

Brooks, that's a useful analytical distinction, but I'm not sure it should make a difference here.

To me, in both cases someone ends up with the data at issue and the first party is the but-for cause.  I assume that the entity that ends up with the data couldn't have gotten it w/o some voluntary act by the first party, like some sort of ad or analytics contract.  (Please correct me if that's wrong.)

Basically I see causation or responsibility as more relevant than actual possession.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone