Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

On Oct 30, 2013, at 19:33 , Shane M Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Vinay,
>
> I generally supportive but it seems odd to define the concept of “collection” through the lens of “retention” (retain) in that those were expected to be different definitions.

LoL.  We've had this discussion before, and I am with you.  But the lawyers seem to like the word 'collect', and it's not a ditch to die in.

I seem to recall I suggested before that we need something like:

Retain (this definition)
Share (we have a definition -- allowing data to flow to another party, roughly)
Use (we have a definition)
Receives (data arrives whether you wanted it or not, e.g. in a request)

and maybe
Collect -- the party took active steps to acquire the data from another party (e.g. you have access to a database operated by another party and you looked the user up there and got some more info)

I don't think we ever use Collect in this sense, and we have (currently) no rules that apply to it, so we don't need it.

> - Shane

David Singer