Re: Editorial Change - ISSUE-25 Proposed Text

Hi John,

On 2013-10-08 3:09 PM, John Simpson wrote:
> Well, if Company.com <http://Company.com> was a 3rd party on
> Website.com <http://Website.com>, then if DNT:1 were enabled
> Company.com <http://Company.com> should not have been able to gather
> any data when I visited Website.com <http://Website.com>, right?
The DNT:1 signal, and any associated rules for data collected in a 3rd
party context would apply to any data collected by Company.com in that case.

> I'm  not sure I understand how the "concept" of context helps
> particularly.  I guess you're saying that when you are a 3rd party you
> are operating in the third party context.  When you become a 1st
> party, you are operating in the 1st party context.
Or vice versa. When you use or collect data in a 1st party context you
are operating at that time as a 1st party.

> If we agree that a party can be both a 1st party or a 3rd party -- but
> not at the same time -- then I don't see any functional difference
> between saying "you are a 1st party" vs. "you are operating in the 1st
> party context"
It's more precise and clear. Speaking in terms of context goes right to
the point. Company X is a party. Is it a first party or a third party?
We don't know until we see the context in which it is collecting or
using data at any given moment. So let's just talk about the context, then.

Or, to put it slightly differently, parties can morph between 1st and
3rd. They can hold data that was collected in either context and they
can use data in either context. But what matters /is/ that context in
which the data is collected or used. And the DNT signal carries over
with the data, even as the party switches contexts. Therefore 1st or
3rd-ness is really a property of the data, not of the party. And, it
follows that it's clearer to talk about applying rules to the data
rather than to parties.

> I just don't understand what's confusing about saying in this network
> interaction you are a 1st party.  Later you might say, in this
> interaction (for these reasons) you are a 3rd party.
That's not confusing, but what is confusing is building rule sets around
the wrong thing. Here's an analogy -- imperfect, but still makes the
point. It's not confusing to say that people drive cars. However, it
would be confusing to make a law requiring that people must have
functioning break lights and a horn at all times.

-David