RE: Issue:? Fingerprinting

Justin,

Accurate fingerprinting does not at the moment rely on IP addresses because
with IPv4 reuse and sharing is common due to the limited address space. The
usual technique is to use rendered script to return more detailed
information about the user-agent i.e. fonts employed etc. which tend to
uniquely identify the device. This was how the EFF's panopticlick project
did it.

With IPv6 there is a way to do fingerprinting using the IP address which on
some devices is unique (derived from the device MAC address)., but many
devices now employ the IPv6 privacy extensions that create short duration
random addresses and use them. Hopefully this will become the norm, I know
IE defaults to that - though android does not.

I agree with Jeff that we need to have something in the text that rules out
fingerprinting when DNT:1, like my proposal on unique identifiers
(issue-199)

Mike