Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

On 01/11/2013 11:02, David Singer wrote:
> OK, maybe a concrete question.  If I (a first party) write a page
> that pulls in a third-party resource, this causes clients who visit
> my page also to contact that third party.  Lee is saying that that
> constitutes "sharing" by the first party, even though the transaction
> from client to third party never came actually "through" the first
> party.  It's sort of an inducement, or the like.
>
> Do we need to define this?  Is it really 'share', and an inducement
> to share?  Anyway, the first party will not re-write pages for DNT
> users, I doubt.

It reeks more of induced collection than of sharing. For all intents and
purposes, the third party does not receive the data through the first
party, but directly from the UA.

It is more a matter for a compliance spec to attach consequences to this
than for the TPE.

Regards,

 Walter