Re: TPE Handling Out-of-Band Consent (including ISSUE-152)

The 48 hours doesn't really matter if a consumer doesn't have visibility
into the answer.  And anyway, in either case, you are seeking to hold
and use the data for up to 53 weeks pursuant to the proposed market
research exception.

I still do not understand why you cannot operate in-band or otherwise
configure the user agent to send DNT:0 signals using your client-side
software.  I'm sure there are engineering costs and challenges to all
parties represented in the working group, but I had not heard before
that responding to DNT:1 and DNT:0 signals would be technologically
unfeasible (which would seemingly be more so for third parties without
client-side software).

I also don't see how a conditional "C" signal helps.  Without
definitive, machine-readable signals, it's hard to see how this system
is accountable.  There is currently no general auditing requirement in
the standard, and I would be reluctant to put one in as an unnecessary
burden and expense.

Justin Brookman
Director, Consumer Privacy
Center for Democracy & Technology